Not just for breakfast, this treat is a great side for burgers or sandwiches. It also reheats well in the microwave for a tasty lunch or after-school snack. The granola provides a surprise texture, but bacon and sweet potatoes are the stars here.
- 1 lb. thick-cut bacon, sliced in half
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup granola (we use gluten-free vanilla, but any will work)
- Cook bacon in batches in a large heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium heat. Transfer cooked bacon to a paper-towel lined plate to rest and crisp up. Note: I prefer a stockpot over a griddle for this recipe because you’ll be cooking everything else in the bacon grease
- When all bacon is cooked, increase stockpot to medium-high and add sweet potatoes, onion, and spices. Stir to coat, then cook until onions are browning and sweet potatoes are tender, about ten minutes, stirring regularly.
- While the potatoes and onions cook, cut the bacon into small chunks.
- When the potatoes are tender, reduce heat to medium, then stir in the granola and bacon. Cook one minute, then serve while hot.